Monday, May 2, 2011

A Night Out

This weekend my husband and I, along with my family, went to Ocean City, MD for the night to celebrate my cousins wedding.  This was the first time that we ever left our son overnight.  Ambitious isn't even the word for it.  I would say stressful would be a better word!  It was something that I wasn't quite comfortable doing yet, but I figured since it was only 24 hours, I'd do my best to try not to worry about it so much.  Easier said than done, but I was able to enjoy myself at the wedding.  We were lucky enough to have my in-law's watch our son, which meant that it was OK to call a million times throughout the day and evening to check on things.  Needless to say, he didn't sleep well throughout the day, but did sleep for them through the night.  When we got home the next day, he looked so exhausted.  He must have been playing so much and was just fighting sleep.  My in-law's said that he was not going down for a nap no matter what they did.  I scooped him up, went to his room and just rocked with him.  He started fading really fast after a bout of whining so I put him down in his crib and he slept like a little angel.  I guess he knew that my husband and I weren't there.  He sensed it.  It's amazing how even at 1 years old, he had a sense that we weren't there.  Now that we're back home, I'm hoping that he'll get back on schedule.  Lack of sleep is never fun and it's hard for me to function without a good 8 hours of sleep, so I can only imagine how exhausted he is.  I'm glad to be home and I know that we'll eventually get more comfortable leaving him overnight.  But the first time is hard.  My fingers are crossed that the second time turns out to be less stressful than the first!

What are some experiences you've had when you left your child(ren) for the first time overnight?  I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment