Monday, June 13, 2011

Use Your Words

My son has been saying a bunch of words here and there for about 3 months now.  He will be 14 months next week. But he does a lot of pointing a grunting also.  My husband and I have been telling him to use his words and have been showing his pictures and teaching him new words.  He loves to say "Momma" all day long and to him, everyone's "Momma".  My husband, our dog, Uncle Larry, and even his toy car.  I love to hear him say new words.  He's so innocent saying them.  When he says "apple" or "bubble" or "duck", he gets so excited.  I can't wait for him to start talking in full sentences.  He's growing up so fast, but I am enjoying every moment of it.  My nephew is only 2 and tells knock knock jokes and speaks so well.  My son loves to see him and my niece who is only 9 months old.  They're so close in age it's just wonderful.  They can learn from one another and can have wonderful play dates!
My son is in daycare during the day, so I am unable to work with him one on one unless it's in the evening or on the weekends.  But I'd love to teach him more words and associations.  Do you have any suggestions on how to get more learning into a small amount of time?  Would you suggest any particular books, videos, or puzzles that we should use to help him learn more words?  Looking forward to hearing from you all.

2 comments:

  1. Baby babble DVD my kids loooooved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down the very best thing you can do to encourage language use is to simply talk to him. Get down on his level, make eye contact when possible, and talk about anything and everything-how many feet the dog has, what sound his Cheerios make when he chews them, what kind of meal Rachel Ray is cooking on the front of the Food Network magazine...you get the idea. Also READ. As often as he wants to. Go with it if he just wants to read the same book over and over again, or if he doesn't want to sit through all the words- just flipping through pages with you is a bonding experience that can eventually develop into a love of reading and learning.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete